Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Harvey's EFY Memoirs...finally

Six summers of my life have past since I stepped off the plane from Las Vegas. For six summers I have never truly celebrated the Fourth of July. For six summers, I called places like Maple, Clark, Prassell, and Thomas home. For six summers my sweet mother has tried, many times in vain, to reunite the entire U-Crew for just one weekend. For six summers my life has revolved around dozens, or hundreds, or thousands of teenagers. And after six summers, I do not have a whole to show for my all my work with EFY...just several pictures, a couple journals, a few fondly regarded quotes. It's called 'Especially for Youth,' yet sometimes I wondered if I was being selfish. I think after it is all said and done, I got a whole heck of a lot more out of the program and my experience than my youth or counselors could have ever possibly received from me.

I still remember walking across campus in the spring of 2004. I was in front of the business building when I got a call on this crazy new contraption known as a cellular phone...it was my sister Margie, and she said they needed more counselors. Knowing how weird EFY kids were, I was really really...really averse to signing on. While I've never had the constitution or patience to deal with cheering and whooping and hollering and babysitting, I found out it actually pays more than my college job. So ever the opportunist, I agreed to apply for the Denton session. I eventually added the other Texas sessions, and since that time much of my life has been wrapped up with this crazy program. So, I thought I would simply spend a few moments, and by few I mean several, going over highlights from each year.

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to write all this out. I already have journals and memories, and I'd be surprised if anyone ever invested enough time to actually read this, but perhaps it's a form of therapy. Who knows? I originally started this as one single post, but it grew to be forever long so I decided to post each year separately. If you do happen to attempt to read these posts and have your own memories to add or correct a story, go ahead and throw down in the comment section.

That said, please, do come with me as I mosey on back down memory lane...





No comments:

Post a Comment