Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Eric Forrester....No Rest for the Righteous

I never watch the news anymore. It's not that it's never positive--because they always throw in those 'feel good' stories amidst the war, corruption, and crime reports--but it's more that I simply don't have time. Well last night I was actually watching 24 live instead of waiting for it to be recorded and then going back so I can skip the commercial breaks. After 24 it led straight into the 9:00 news promo in which they said a Fort Worth 17-year old aspiring eagle scout/athlete/honor student was shot when he went home for lunch. Sometimes you can just tell when people are LDS and this was one of those times...I just knew this poor kid was a member.

So I kept watching. The first story was on this shooting and the news anchor said the victim's name was Eric Forrester. 'Wait a minute,' I thought...'is that my Eric from EFY? No...he's best friends with Kenyan so he has to live in Mansfield. It has to be another Eric.' About that time they showed his Facebook profile picture and I could not believe I was looking at someone I care so much about. I was in utter shock. I couldn't breathe, and when I could I broke down.

All the youth that attend EFY are special, of course, but there are a few who make real and lasting impressions on you. There are the natural leaders like Bryce, the awkwardly funny Stephen, the over-hyper/borderline-annoying but ever so lovable duo of Kent and Matt, the quiet and humble Andrew, the jolly Jordan, the 'I always have to wear something orange' Evan, the clueless Austin, the ever so innocent Derek, the peacemaker Ron, the 'I'm so tough and cool but really not' Matt and many others. Kenyan and Eric fell within this group with their quiet reserve but evident resolve to live the Gospel standards.


They were part of the magical Denton 2006 Servants of All company. In the years following, I kept my eye on them, even if they didn't know it. I knew who their counselors were, how they were doing, if they seemed to have a good time, etc. I usually didn't like to interfere, A) because who knew if they were still interested at all in talking to a big nerd like me and B) we had fantastic times together back in the day, but it was a new summer, new session, and they needed to enjoy their time with that company and counselor.

I'm trying to think if I ever heard Eric put more than six sentences together. I'm pretty sure I heard him bear his testimony, and if I did it wasn't anything earth-shattering or spectacular. What impressed me about Eric was he didn't need to say anything for you to know his beliefs and standards; his testimony was given in the way he carried himself. He just exuded goodness. Still waters run deep applies perfectly to Eric Forrester. Every time I saw him it made me smile. Could it has been the permanent goofy look that was always on his face or just the fact he was so good? Definitely both.

The last time I saw Eric is truthfully one of my greatest memories. On July 17, 2009, at my last session ever, the session director Brother Huso unexpectedly turned the microphone over to me for the Friday night closing comments. I rambled on for like 5 minutes about how much I loved the youth...yadda yadda yadda...they are amazing...yadda yadda yadda...it has been my utmost pleasure to have worked with them and their counselors, bore testimony we are involved in a great work, etc etc... I don't remember a whole lot of the specifics of what I actually said but I do remember exactly where Kenyan and Eric were sitting...just off to my left way in the back by the bleachers. After the closing prayer, when everyone was supposed to be leaving for their company devotionals, I was talking to a few youth right next to the stage when I saw Eric out of the corner of my eye. Tears were running down his cheeks and his voice was quivering when he told me that whatever it was I had said really hit him. I was so taken back by it I didn't really know what to say or do. He turned around and left to go back with his company and I broke free of the other kids around me to catch up with him. I gave him a big hug and said 'I am so proud of you. I love you, man. Be good'

With that, Eric went his way and at 10:18 a.m. this morning on April 13, 2010 he was pronounced dead at a Fort Worth hospital. Last week his mom had just posted his senior pictures to Facebook, he apparently attended prom, and was most certainly looking forward to the last few weeks of high school. One news article even mentioned how he was preparing to become a Mormon missionary in addition to the long list of honor roll, swimmer, boy scout, cellist etc.

Truth be told, every Thursday night at EFY I cannot make it through the EFY Medley without bawling. When the boys start to sing We'll Bring the World His Truth I stand there and picture each one in a shirt and tie on bicycles or knocking doors or posing for baptism photos. Eric is never going to wear a badge saying 'Elder Forrester' as he shares his sincere testimony with others. He is never going to get to open that big white envelope from Salt Lake City containing a call signed by a prophet of God. Even with my testimony in the Plan of Happiness, the first thing that went through my head was, 'How could this have happened to someone so good and how can the Lord take away someone with such love, strength, and commitment?'

I understand fully that God has a plan for us all, but I was so impressed as I went onto Kenyan's Facebook page to offer my condolences and I saw that while most teenagers are stereotypically self-absorbed or at least fall victim to the world revolves around me syndrome, he had such a mature perspective on things. In his status he quoted the final verse in Come, Come Ye Saints:

And should we die, before our journey's through
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free, from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just, we shall dwell.
But if our lives are spared again
To see the saints, their rest obtain,
Oh how we'll make this chorus swell-
All is well! All is well!

When someone passes, we say 'Rest in Peace.' It's kinda funny, because it's actually the opposite. While we have been deprived of Eric's talents for a short while, I know he is going to be put to good use on the other side of the veil. There is too much work for someone of Eric's capabilities to do much resting in the spirit world. The fact he was taken so tragically and suddenly doesn't help with the pain, but how blessed we are to know that that pain is relatively short-lived and that He who has suffered all pain is there to comfort us.

I was around Eric Forrester for literally 20 days, but how enriched my life has been because of examples like him.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Kyle Segars. I used to live next door to the Forrester family when I was about 11 or 12, and hung out frequently with his older brother Sean. My last memories of Eric were when he was very little, and I was shocked to hear about this today from my grandmother, who also lived next door to the Forresters. My condolences to the family. I used to see these people everyday and cannot imagine how hard this is for them. If anyone wishes to contact me, I can be reached at: cinematery@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Harv! Thanks for posting this. Not only for the tragic news, but to hear all of the memories you have of Eric! You truly were such an amazing ad inspiring counselor! I can not believe this would happen to Eric. But it is a blessing that we have the gospel and we know that he is doing his missionary work on the other side! I love you Harvey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvey! I'm sure you don't know me, but I attended '09 and '08 EFY's in San Antonio, and so of course I know who you are. Eric is my cousin and we drove back to Fort Worth together from EFY this last summer. I was googling his name to see the different articles about him since I'm at BYU right now, and I came upon your blog. It deeply touched me and I just wanted to thank you for noticing that he was such an amazing person. It's been really hard since I found out, but I feel a peace now. I know that he is doing work on the other side, that he was needed more there than here on earth. Thank you so much for being a part of Eric's mortal life. I'm sure he'll thank you when we see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Harvey for sharing this. You are a wonderful guy, and Eric and I were truly blessed to have you for your last year as a counselor. Just so you know, after our last devotional with you, before Eric and I went to sleep we were talking like we always would on EFY nights, and we both talked about how much we loved you. I assure you that Eric does still love you. I just got back from the memorial service that was held in place of the Fort Worth mutuals on normal wednesday nights and as i was swapping stories with Richard, Eric's dad, He told me about how an EFY counselor or advisor or something wrote about his memories of Eric on some blog. I'm sure you'll excuse my not reading your message until tonight, as i stayed with Eric until just before his surgery last night at 3am, but i knew the article had to have come from you. Thank you for remembering us and watching over us through all those years, and just so you know Harvey. I love you man.

    ~Kenyan~

    ReplyDelete